MENU
 

It's easy to get answers about health and nutrition! Just send your question by email to askdrgourmet@drgourmet.com and Dr. Harlan will respond to selected questions of general interest. Answers will be posted in the Ask Dr. Gourmet newsletter (sign up now!) and archived in the Ask Dr. Gourmet section of the website.

Please note that the Ask Dr. Gourmet feature is restricted to questions regarding food and nutrition. Due to the many questions we receive, not all questions may be answered. For more specific questions about your individual health, please contact your doctor. About Timothy S. Harlan, MD, FACP | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

 


 

Ask Dr. Gourmet



Are these mushrooms safe to eat?

My family and I picked some wild mushrooms (what in our area, Northern MI are called beefsteak mushrooms or false morels) and are wondering how safe they are to eat? Some say not at all, others say if you cook them correctly. So my question is how would I prepare and cook them to be safe?

Dr. Gourmet Says...

Morel Mushrooms

You do have to be very, very careful if you are going to eat wild mushrooms. Some, like the morels that I used to get in Virginia, are easy to know whether they are safe or not.

There are a number of resources for you. I have a book called The Great Encyclopedia of Mushrooms. This is one of the clearest and most comprehensive texts I have found. It's a larger book and not really suitable as a field guide.

This book is specific to your area:

Poisonous Mushrooms of the Northern United States and Canada

Here's some links to sites on the web. Use them at your own risk.

Wikipedia: Mushroom Poisoning

From NC State University: Wild Mushrooms and Poisoning

MushroomExpert.com

Thanks for writing and careful hunting to you,

Timothy S. Harlan, MD, FACP
Dr. Gourmet